Tuesday, October 17, 2006

See, I Told You

Even though I'm the one with the freaky uterus, I haven't really been worried about what's going on. All along I've assumed that there is a perfectly good explanation for what is happening with my body and that it will be taken care of soon. Even when Dr. Turner mentioned the "c" word and requested that most of the blood be taken from my body for study, I wasn't concerned. I made my follow up appointment secure in the knowledge that I was/am A-Ok.

I thought about it a bit yesterday and told myself that if something were wrong, the office would call me since my blood work would be back and they had time to find out what's up. When 4 o'clock rolled around and I hadn't heard anything, I pushed the few scary thoughts I'd had from my mind and headed over to some friends for dinner.

At 7:30 when we got home, I noticed two messages flashing on the answering machine.

"Hi Karen, this is Dr. Turner's office calling. We've received your blood work results and need to go over it with you at your earliest conveinence. Please call us as soon as you can."

So now I think I'm dying. I start shaking immediately and get completely freaked out. Why would they call unless something was wrong? I already have my follow up appointment and if everything was normal, they would just go over it then, right? My eyes well up with tears and I start mentally preparing a list of all the things I have to do before I die. Start writing letters to the kids about everything. Check. Stock the freezer. Check. Eat all the food I've been denying myself. Check. Book a trip to Italy. Check.

Brad is great. Although he is used to me blowing everything out of proportion and generally thinking the worst when it comes to anything medical, he is sweet and reassuring. I watched Oprah to get my mind off things and went to bed for a not-so-good night of sleep.

I woke up this morning feeling a bit better and called the doctor at 8:01 am. I gave them every number I have and told them to call me as soon as they could, which they did at 9:25 as I was doing laps at the mall.

"Hi Karen, this is Dr. Turner's office. We just wanted to let you know that all of your blood work was completely normal and we'll proceed with the ultrasound. See you in a few weeks."

This is why I am a crazy girl: although I am A) elated and I am also B) PISSED. Couldn't she have just said on the message last night that everything was okay so that I didn't have to go through 14 hours of oh-crap-I'm-gonna-die stuff? SERIOUSLY.

So that's the news. I'm not dying. At least not today. I am still bleeding, but not dying. I felt so relieved that I practically skipped through the rest of my laps at the mall, until Aidan starting throwing up that is, but that's a new post in itself.


ks said...


emahaf said...

i am glad that the blood work came back ok. and as far as a the US is concerned they are no big deal. and they are normally over very quickly. trust me i have had about a 100

Heather said...

Glad to know you aren't dying. Thanks for the rock salt, and you better not deny yourself tomorrow night.

Kim said...

That's a huge relief! Glad you're getting good news! Can't wait to hear your post on the vaginal ultrasound. I'm sure you'll have us all on the floor laughing!