Monday, September 10, 2007

My Apologies

Yeah, that smell yesterday in the hallway at the 108 building?

That would be my son's vomit, all over the place.

So sorry about that.

What's weird (other than the sight of my son wretching in the hall of a public building while trying to keep his tie out of the way) is that Spencer is authentically sick. The whole nine yards. The fever, the sweats, the chills. All of it. And while I am a world champion mother of those who purge, those who purge because they're sick is a whole new thing for me.

It's been well documented that my girls can vomit on a dime. Fill them up, watch it fly. It's become so routine in our house to have at least one person vomit during a meal that it hardly even ruffles the feathers of the rest of us anymore.

"Mom, Sienna's gonna blow. Can you pass the salt?"

Brad and I have fallen into a well rehearsed routine of him running said girl to the bathroom while I get out the disinfectant and rubber gloves. A bath and a few minutes later, and we're all back at the table eating our spaghetti.

But an actually sick child? That's all new to me. I had stayed home yesterday because Sienna was sick and when Spence came home from church, he immediately went upstairs to change. He didn't mention what had happened and as Brad filled me in, I looked up the stairs to see Spence's face flash with "oh crud, here it comes again!" as he ran to the bathroom. Poor, poor baby.

He spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch watching sports with Brad and by evening, he seemed to be feeling better. I played Battleship with him and the color seemed to be returning to his cheeks and I thought "man am I glad that's over with."

But it started all over again as he went to bed. In my room. In my bed. On my carpet. Awesome.

I seem to do better with spontaneous wretching. I think it's because there's no time to think about what you're doing. You just react. With planned pukage, you have to be there, rubbing the back, offering soothing words and a cold washcloth. And then you have the time to actually take in what you're doing, which is, well, NASTY.

Spence is home today just in case and when I told him he needed a day of rest, he said "but I want a day of learning!" Seriously.

I hope we didn't pass this on to anyone else at the 108 building, but if we did, just think of me. I'll be doing the same thing. And I'll be right over with the disinfectant and rubber gloves.

9 comments:

dandee said...

So sorry poor SPencer had to experience that at church. Hopefully he continues to feel better so tomorrow he can have "a day of learning".

Marilyn said...

At least I can rest assured that it wasn't MY child that passed this illness onto Spencer.

Hope he gets better very soon!

tharker said...

I am still thinking about you telling me that he felt bad for puking in church because that is just not reverent! I love Spencer so much!

Hopefully he will be all better tomorrow so he can get back to learning.

Kris said...

I felt so bad for Spencer. He looked like he didn't feel well! He did feel really bad about not getting to the bathroom. I'm sorry about him puking. So not fun. Tyler had that a few months ago, and every 30 minutes all night long, is horrible! I hope he feels better soon!

Alicia Leppert said...

I'm now curled in the fetal position with my thumb in my mouth.

Brooklet said...

Uggghhh, I am soo soo sorry for you and Spence- the stomach flu to me is possibly the most miserable thing I have ever experienced- glad to hear its over and Spence is on the mend.

Sarah said...

Poor guy. That's the worst to get sick in a public place. Hope he feels better soon.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for stopping by my site and saying hi. And I'm excited to be introduced to your blog. I love your writing style. Your verbiage made me laugh. Sorry your little guy is sick. I hope he gets feeling better soon so you can get back to the spontaneous pukage, and not the planned! :)
I'm looking forward to more posts from you.

Melissa said...

Isn't the flu fun?? I hope that he feels better soon and can get back to a day of learning. AND I hope that no one else in your family gets sick. Especially you... cause let me tell ya... trying to take care of kids with the flu when you have it yourself is torture!!