Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Men Could Never Do This Job

Last night, from 5:30 to 2 am, I spent my time with my good friend Sonja as she battled contraction after contraction. We walked, we went to dinner, we climbed stairs, we laughed, all the while knowing that it was for a great cause. They were coming hard and fast, every 2 1/2-3 minutes and were lasting over a minute each, so we knew we were close.

Or not.

Around 11, they started to slow a bit. Poor Sonja was in a lot of pain and her back was killing her so she stopped to rest for just a few minutes. And her contractions decided to stop and rest as well. Pretty soon they were 5 minutes apart...not as hard....not as frequent.....Uuuuggghhhhh!

I finally left around 2 and Sonja was zonked out fast asleep. I felt so bad for her knowing that she was going to have to do the whole thing over again. And this is a girl who went into pre-term labor 7 weeks ago and has been contracting ever since. Yeah, that STINKS.

I have her two other daughters here with me today and they were so disappointed to learn that everything had slowed down. Then, around 7:30 this morning, Sonja called and said her water had broke and they were on their way to the hospital! Hooray! I'll keep you posted....

8 comments:

tharker said...

What a horribly long day for Sonja! But like you said, the cause is SO worth every single contraction. I'm glad that she is for real going to have the baby now. Hopefully today! Can't wait to hear more news!

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

You are sooo right about men not being able to do that! I don't know Sonja, but I hope all goes well and she has a new baby to snuggle soon.

Sarah said...

Just knowing how bad my husband complains and tries to get pampered when he has a cold assures me that he wouldn't make it through contractions. Hope your friend has an easy labor and a lovely baby. You're a good friend to keep her company and help her out.

Heather said...

Poor Sonja... but we can't wait to see pictures!

Kris said...

Labor is awful. You are such a good friend to hang out with her for so many hours! I hope she has the baby soon!

Brooklet said...

Wow, what a great friend to go through the night with her. But I bet you were a great companion- keeping her laughing through the contractions.

I love labor stories, I hope her delivery story is even better.

Melissa said...

You are an awesome friend! :)