Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothering

You know how they say it takes a village to raise a child?  

I think it takes a village to make a Mama.  

Even though it should be the most natural, the most pure, the easiest thing for women to do, learning to Mother is a long, trial-filled, oops-that-didn't-work, exhausting and tremendous thing a woman can do.  

And somedays, you rock at it.  

And other days, you fail miserably.  

But on each of those days, the good and the bad, you call on the village around you to uplift you, to sustain you, to cheer you on and celebrate that no matter what, you are a mother and are doing your best. 

My village is overflowing with examples of Motherhood.  Women who can change the air in a room by the words that they say, the kindness the evoke, the love that is evident in every move they make. I'm so grateful to sit at their feet and learn.  I'm so tickled that they call on me to share in the joy that is their children.  I'm so honored that I'm surrounded by the love of tremendous women who Mother.  

There is nothing better.  

To my own amazing mother, who drops everything for my family on a regular basis, thank you.  Thank you for raising me in a way that showed me that I was important, every single day.  For loving on my kids with your whole self so that they never doubt how divine they are.  For showing me how to do the most important job of my life with grace and humility.  I love you. 

Happy Mother's Day. 

3 comments:

Kelly AKA Madre said...

You and your mom are both great examples of fantastic moms. I hope you two have a wonderful Mother's day. I love you both!

GS said...

I promised myself I wouldn't cry today so I teared up, just a little. You and Scot are my finest accomplishments. I couldn't be more proud of both of you. I've told many people that you are Brad are better parents than we were. Love, Mom

Melanie said...

so exactly and perfectly said. I am thankful that you are part of the village that is shaping my mothering.

Your mom's comment made me smile. Go Team Johnson!