Friday, October 27, 2006

Waiting To Hear My Anthem Play

In an attempt to meet some new people and broaden my skill set, I hosted a scrapbooking/card making night at my house last night. Since we had decided last month to include a card swap, each person showed up with fifteen cards they had made themselves to pass around, giving each of us the opportunity to go home with fifteen different homemade and fabulous cards.

Since I am new to the card making biz, I opted for a very simple design. I was a little nervous that it wouldn't be up to snuff but Brad assured me it was great and not to worry. Situation #12 In Which I Will Not Trust His Advice.

These women treat card making like an Olympic sport. The creations that came flying through my door were nothing short of amazing. Stamp bleaching, brad fastening, hand-sewn felting, velum positioning and pad rubbing were among the techniques used. I can almost hear the scores coming in:

"You know Bob, I appreciate her bold use of color but I don't think it's enough to score high with the judges. Her technique is solid but she needs a little more embellishments to secure her place in the top three. Let's see what the judges have to say."

"I have to agree Kathy and I think the judges nailed it. These crafters need to understand that in order to win gold, they have to include all five of the key elements in their cards: stamping, lettering, color choice, theme and overall design. At this level of competition, there has to be more than just showmanship. It looks like the judges are all in sync, except for the unnecessarily low scores from the French judge."

You know how those French judges can be.

Needless to say, the evening provided me with another opportunity to feel completely inadequate, but today I have a new game plan. In order to increase my odds at medal contention, I've outlined an intense training regimen so I'll be ready for the next competition. It's going to take a lot of hard work, some serious blood, sweat and tears, but you can find me next month on the podium.

6 comments:

tharker said...

I would be happy to receive any homemade card from you ! I'm sure your's were great!

meohmyers said...

You are hilarious. You have such a way with words! By the way, I loved your card! That was so fun last night. I loved seeing all the different styles that everyone has. I can promise you this though, if home decorating were a competition, you'd walk away with the gold! Hands down!

tharker said...

Tru dat!

emahaf said...

Don't you love this new sport. I am so far behind the game that any time I go to a scrapbooking anything I feel like I am in 3rd grade. I am sure your cards were really great.

Anonymous said...

HEY! Your cards were preapproved!!! I personally loved seeing a little Basic Grey in my pile. I do have to agree, a few of those cards blew me away. This is me, trying not to stress about next month:)

Heather said...

I'm glad I was out of town...I would NEVER do a card swap just for that same reason. Everyone would accidentally drop mine in the flower bed.