Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Beginning Of The Kiz, 2.0

How doozer, 2010!

I'm sorry. Do you like to be called two thousand and ten or do you prefer the ultra mod twenty-ten? I'm still working it out. Not quite sure which one I'll go with and wanted your opinion.

(Sidenote: every time I try to spell opinion, I do it wrong. And I'm a good speller. Not sure what that's all about.)


Anyway, the year is off to a royal start and I'm feeling all sorts of promise and hope for the year ahead. And even though I try to live a good life and not get caught up in the rush of "making goals" and "starting over," I can't help myself. There is something almost palpable about the beginning of a new year that just makes you want to set yourself right with the universe. And so my thoughts over the past several days have covered everything under the sun as I've tried to determine what I need to be working on. Here's what I've come up with:

PRIORITIZE
ECONOMIZE
TELL NO LIES

SHRINK MY THIGHS

What do you think? Because you can be honest with me. I can handle it. Hopefully.

What it comes down to for me in the year that will mark my thirty-fifth in this roller coaster of life (we'll talk about that later, I assure you) is that I have to take control of my time. I have to eek out what's most important and put all my energies there. I can't live under the heavy cloak of be! all! things! to! all! people! any longer. And it's okay. I will still be loved. I will still be needed. I will still have a place to shine and offer whatever I've got. But my time and those I hold close will get the best of me.

I can't wait to get started.

I know lots of people come up with their own personal theme or word for the year each January and although I haven't gone that route in years past, this year is different. This year I feel the weight of my choices and know that it will take constant reminding to keep me on course and not fall back into familiar patterns. It will take daily reminders and pats on the back and words of encouragement for me to get it right. In a word, it will take

BALANCE.

Balancing my roles as wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc is what my focus is for the year. I can do this, I know it, but I know it won't be easy for me. It won't be easy to say no when I really want to say yes. It won't feel right letting others step up and do the work at hand. It doesn't come natural to me to sit back and let others take the reins. But it's what I deserve. It's what my husband and children are counting on. It's what I've been waiting thirty-five (almost) years to figure out.

What do you think, twenty-ten? Think we call pull it off? I think so. I can feel it. You and I are going to get better with each passing day.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I love the line "I have to take control of my time". That is exactly it for 2010. Balance is a tricky thing to achieve but I think you are well on your way.

Sara said...

Balance, it is much the same for so many of us. I am loving your goals and ideas for this year.

Heather said...

Just the laughter I needed on a gray morning! Go Karen!!

Kelly said...

I'm going the "twenty-ten" route. Not to be ultra mod, but because it is simply less syllables.

And you know I'm digging your resolution list. Great goals and they rhyme...what's better than that?

Have a great new year friend!

hatch said...

Love it!
Happy New Year Karen!

tharker said...

Personally, I think your list rocks simply because all of your goals rhyme. (I can't ever spell that word correctly)

All in a word said...

Indeed. (I like the rhyme, but I really like a one-word commitment. Can you come up with one for me? Like... unquirkthyself... or something?)

Lisa Christine said...

My family and I have been having a huge debate over the whole 'how do we say 2010' question. I will say Two thousand -ten. Donald insists that it is twenty-ten....but then yesterday he was bearing his testimony at church and referred to the new year as 'two thousand-ten'. hee hee hee.

Love your new year thoughts! I hope you can find 'balance' in the year ahead :)

polka dots said...

great new year post. love the new purple blog header.

Sarah said...

Love your goals! Good luck with Balance this year!